Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 20min | Cook Time: 35min
A creamy noodly Northern Thai dish that dresses to impress! Compliments of Chiang Mai.
- 4 garlic cloves - coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger - coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion - halved and sliced
- 1 pound green beans - chopped in thirds or quarters
- 1 kaffir lime leaves - halved
- 3 fried tofu patties - cubed
- 8 Thai basil leaves
- 1 pound Chinese egg noodles - divided into 6 nests
- 1 pound Chinese wonton noodles - divided into 6 nests
- 1 tablespoon panang curry paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow/red curry paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- ½ tablespoon palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Peanut oil
- 1 lime - wedged
- 1 bunch cilantro - coarsely chopped
- Thai basil leaves
- Sweet chili sauce
- Picked mustard greens
- Fired/dried sliced shallots
- Heat about one cup of oil in a wok for deep frying.
- In batches, deep fry the wonton noodle nests. Flip in one minute intervals until evenly crispy. Set crispy nests aside to cool and drain excess oil.
- Drain all but about two tablespoons of oil from the wok.
- Stir fry garlic, ginger, and chili garlic sauce until fragrant.
- Add about two tablespoons of coconut milk and both curry pastes. Stir fry for a couple minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth , remainder of coconut milk, fish sauce, and soy sauce - mix well. Bring to slow boil.
- Toss in the palm sugar. Once the sugar is completely dissolved, add the green beans, tofu, basil, and lime leaf. Simmer until green beans are tender. About 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook the egg noodle nests in boiling water until al dente. Drain and briefly rinse the cooked egg noodles in cold water and set aside.
- Add the onions to the wok and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove wok from heat once onions and green beans are cooked yet still crunchy.
- Prepare each bowl to have one egg noodle nest. Fill bowl with curry until noodles are submerged. Top with a crispy nest, lime wedge, cilantro, basil, shallots, and mustard greens. Finalize presentation with about one tablespoon of sweet chili sauce on the crispy nest noodles.
- Serve. Devour.